Recently, I’ve decided to look at experimenting with an image series, linked only by format. Although the plate size will be common to all the plates, they will differ in texture and in the materials used. So, I’ve been raiding the bags of goodies in my garage (that’s what garages are for) for textile off-cuts, fabric edging, raffia etc.

In the last Print Story series, I played with poured varnishes mixed with carborundum. This time, the powder will largely be used to create background tones only. As before, I worked quickly, making five plates in a day. I glue stuff on to the boards, responding to the materials I’m using. Alternatively, I work with a basic idea of a shape or sense of movement in mind.

Raffia, carborundum powder and varnishes

Garage Goodies. Collagraph plate with raffia, carborundum and varnishes

Closeup of the plate, sealed with thick layers of thinned down PVA glue and varnish to help bind the layers to each other, and to the board surface.

Garage Goodies: kitchen foil

Kitchen foil, string and scored marks

Garage Goodies: foil detail

Crushed foil detail

Torn dishcloth, crackle paste and foil

Torn dishcloth, crackle paste, foil and scored marks, made with a scalpel.

Glass paper sheet, cut to shape with scissors and plastic washers

Glasspaper sheet, cut to shape with scissors, plus plastic and rubber washers

imageDetail of plate surface

Carborundum and PVA mixed together and

Carborundum, pre-mixed with PVA and smeared onto the prepared surface, before varnishing.

I’ve got four more plates to prepare, so it’s back to the garage!


Find all my posts about Art Printworks stories on Twitter at: #artprintstories